Sentry Page Protection

Spanish Vocabulary

Learn 10 Spanish words per day and know 2,500 words after one year!

Many words in Spanish and English are similar, but similar words can have very different meanings, so be careful.


Here are words 346 to 355 to know in Spanish:

pues  well, well then

casi  almost

luego  later, afterwards; then

nunca  never, ever

embargo  (sin embargo  however, nevertheless)

aun  even; still

través  (a través de  via, through)

junto  together (junto, junta, juntos, juntas); junta  board, council

pesar  (a pesar de  in spite of, despite)

tampoco  either, neither

Words pronunciation: 0:38 (38s)

If you are talking to Spanish speakers, and you hear them start to say "Bueno, pues…" ('O.K. then…'), you can take that as your cue that they are ready to end the conversation, say good-bye, and move on to whatever else they need to go do. If you hear "sí, pues…" ('yep, right?,' 'yep, that's how it is'), it is more of an indication that you are saying something that they agree with and/or that is not particularly surprising to them or to you.

Most uses of 'nunca' mean 'never,' but because Spanish does not have a clear equivalent for 'ever,' 'nunca' will also appear where you would expect 'ever' in English. 'The best hamburger I ever ate' would be 'la mejor hamburguesa que he comido nunca'.

'Embargo' can be used on its own, but 99% of the time it is used in the expression 'sin embargo,' to mean 'nevertheless' or 'however.' Sin embargo, the other 1% of the time it means the act of holding something back, whether that is a judicial embargo (hold) on someone's property pending the outcome of a case, a publication embargo on releasing a story before a specified date and time, or a politically motivated embargo on trade with another country.

'Aun' meaning 'even' ('aun si' ['even if'], 'aun así' ['even so'],…) was traditionally, pre-2010, written without an accent, while the 'still' meaning used to be written as 'aún.' Both are now written without an accent.

'Tampoco' implies negation ('not').

pues, ¿qué te digo?  well, what can I say [to you]?

bailamos casi toda la noche  we danced almost all night long ('all the night')

luego desayunamos juntos antes de regresar a la oficina  then we ate breakfast together before going back to the office

él nunca sonríe  he never smiles

sin embargo, me dice que sí está contento  however, he tells me that he is happy

esta hamburguesa es mejor aun con tocino  this hamburger is even better with bacon

se encontraron a través de un anuncio  they found each other through an advertisement

vive junto con sus padres y su perro  he lives together with his parents and his dog

a pesar de todo, su perro siempre lo quiere  in spite of everything, his dog always loves him

tampoco he visto esa película  I have not seen that movie either

Examples pronunciation: 0:50 (50s)


© 2017-2018 Chris Marquardt, Spanish Pronto
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0001.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0002.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0003.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0004.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0005.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0006.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0007.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0008.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0009.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0010.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0011.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0012.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0013.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0014.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0015.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0016.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0017.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0018.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0019.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0020.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0021.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0022.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0023.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0024.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0025.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0026.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0027.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0028.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0029.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0030.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0031.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0032.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0033.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0034.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0035.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0036.html
http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0037.html

URL for this page: http://www.spanishpronto.com/vocabulary_0024.html
More helpful information for learning more Spanish at: Spanish Pronto main page.
Created -- 2017-01-11
Revised -- 2018-12-12